Hannah Holman will be teaching at New York University this summer
June 27 - July 2, 2016
in the SummerStrings@NYU workshop program
For more information please click here.
To inquire about lessons in New York or Iowa City,
please email me.
As a third generation cellist, and with siblings who also play and perform, it is in my blood to teach. I started teaching while in junior high school, and have enjoyed encouraging and helping people of all ages find their 'voice' through music and with the cello ever since.
I was very lucky to have great teaching in my formative years. I started with my
grandmother, was coached at home by my father, and - through junior high and
high school - I worked with Louis Potter. I learned very early on that music is
entwined with life, with people, with one's perspective on the world.
To be able to speak through music is incredible. We have a duty in making music to touch, speak, console, uplift, bring joy to, and comfort or
challenge all who hear us. To do that, one must build enough technical foundation that playing the cello is an extension of who we are so that
when we play, we feel as technically free as possible to express and communicate spontaneously with the audience and our friends and colleagues.
My faculty positions have included:
I am very lucky to have had some wonderful students. Some of my students' achievements include:
- University of Iowa (2002-2012)
- Great Wall Academy, Beijing, China (2007-2008)
- Eastern Music Festival (2001-2010, 2012-)
- Interlochen Center for the Arts - string quartet program (2004, 2009, 2010)
- Kansas City String Quartet Program (2010-)
- Michigan State University, Community Music School, director of chamber music, cello, and suzuki cello (1994-1998)
- Principal and section positions of professional orchestras
- Teaching positions at schools including: Kalamazoo College, UW Whitewater, the Preucil School
- First-prize winners of competitions, including Iowa String Teachers Association, Des Moines Symphony Competition, Cedar Rapids
Symphony Competition, Muscatine Symphony Competition, Beethoven Prize (Cedar Rapids, IA) Southeast Iowa Symphony Competition
- Finalists in national competitions: ASTA, concerto competition, Interlochen
- Attending conservatories such as the Manhattan School of Music, the Cleveland Institute of Music, and the New England Conservatory
- Attending summer festivals including: Aspen, Interlochen, Madeline Island, the Great Wall Academy (China), Blue Lake, Rocky Ridge,
- Selected to appear on national radio show "From the Top"
- Performing with the Foo Fighters on their German tour
- Working for NPR, Boston
I would love to work with you! Please contact me to inquire about lessons in New York or Iowa City.